Wells Fargo Advisors presents...
|*Yes, the Cheaha Challenge Gran Fondo will begin and end in Jacksonville, Alabama in 2014! We have partnered with Jacksonville State University and the City of Jacksonville to provide a new start/finish venue. |
And yes, the route will change somewhat, including a new climb.
Stay tuned for more information, but mark your calendars now!
The 2013 ride includes:
- Chip Timing for everyone so you will know how long it took you to complete your ride, and your time will be posted on the web site.
- King and Queen of the Mountain will be recognized for the fastest to climb the 3 mile climb to the top of Cheaha Mountain ( approx. mile 41 to mile 44)
- Light Breakfast before the ride
- Full catered lunch after the ride from one of the area's BEST restaurants, Classic on Noble
- A beer with lunch after the ride
- Live music after the ride
- Fully Stocked rest stops every 10 miles
- 100% cotton custom t-shirt
- "backpack" style custom Cheaha Challenge rider bag thanks to our sponsor, Eastman!
- 5 bike shops roaming the course to take care of you
- Those who complete the 102-mile route will receive a custom Cheaha medal as part of the Alabama Backroads Century Series!
- Frankie Andreu leading the ride
Hilton Garden Inn
Hilton Home2 Suites
Courtyard by Marriott
Fairfield Inn & Suites
Ride Cheaha alongside Frankie Andreu... Yes, Frankie will be joining us this year on Saturday afternoon at the Noble Street Festival and will be our special guest rider on Sunday at the Cheaha Challenge Gran Fondo!
Frankie Andreu is one of the most popular and well-respected names in American professional cycling. He retired from racing at the end of 2000 after a 12-year professional career that included two Olympic Games: 1988 placing 8th in Seoul, Korea and 1996 placing fourth in Atlanta. During his racing career he competed in the Tour de France nine times and was one of the team's most selfless performers and most depended on workers. He is the current director for the 5hr Energy p/b Kenda Professional Cycling Team. He also works with Bicycling Magazine covering the Tour de France.
A Top 10 Event in the State of Alabama
as selected by the Alabama Bureau of Tourism & Travel
in 2006, 2010, and 2012
- Arrive early on Friday and enjoy a FREE healthy dinner at Mellow Mushroom Pizza Bakers. Enjoy great food, music, and beer. Many of the pro teams racing in the Saturday criterium will be there too.
- Warm up your legs and ride the Chief Ladiga Rail Trail on Saturday morning. This famous paved trail has no hills and stretches from north Anniston, through Jacksonville and Piedmont all the way to the Georgia line (33 miles) where it connects to the Silver Commet Trail. Plan to be in downtown Anniston around lunch-time to enjoy the all-day Noble Street Festival (tons of good food, bike races, huge kid zone, live music, original bike sculpture, running race, and much more). The festival concludes with the Pro Men's race. This race features the nation's top pro teams, begins at twilight, includes over 100 pros racing at 40 mph, and concludes under the streetlights of downtown around 9 p.m.
- Get up Sunday morning and head to Piedmont early for the free breakfast and then ride Cheaha!
- Finish your ride and enjoy an incredible post-ride meal provide by Classic on Noble, one of the finest restaurants in our county. Also check out the vendors offering cycling-related stuff.
- Pop some Advil and either head back to your hotel to crash, or do rock, scissors, paper to see who has to drive home.
as one of the 100 best climbs in the U.S.!
"The Cheaha Challenge, its event coordinators, and volunteers once again delivered a fantastic weekend event. A "must do" ride for cyclists in the southeast. Plan the weekend and have a great time. Everything about this event is top-notch.. Thank you so much!"
"The Cheaha Challenge was the icing on the cake! We spent the whole weekend up in Anniston/Piedmont and had a blast. Spent all day Saturday at the festival and did the Challenge on Sunday. Everyone was extremely friendly from the hotels and restuarants. The Challenge itself was the best ride I've ever done. Everyone was so "into" it. People along the course and at the rest stops really cared, and that made all the difference. Thank you to all and can't wait till next year!"
"I'd like to thank ALL the volunteers who make the Cheaha Challenge possible. Their warmth and friendliness is what keeps me driving from Northeast Tennessee year after year to do the ride. Keep up the good work!"
"Definitely one of the best rides in the south! The steady climb includes several rolling hills making this one of the most challenging courses I have ridden. The staff and volunteers did an excellent job organizing this ride. Best of all, there was very little traffic and several police and support vehicles thought the course. Thanks to everyone involved for putting together an excellent event. I will definitely be back next year!"
"This was my second year for me and my son-in-law ride the Cheaha Challenge. We come over early Saturday afternoon to enjoy the Noble Street Festival and bike racing. The Cheaha Challenge is the best organized ride I do each year. Great volunteers and a beautiful route which is difficult but very rewarding. We will be back next year."
Arrive Saturday with the whole family and enjoy the Noble Street Festival in Anniston. Downtown streets are closed for this annual event, featuring bike races, 12 restaurants serving from tents in the closed streets, live music, art, and lots for children in the Kids Zone. More than 5,000 attendees enjoy this event, selected a Top 10 Event in Alabama in 2006, 2010, and again in 2012.
Known for its tremendous community support, the Cheaha Challenge benefits the Chief Ladiga Trail-Alabama's longest rail trail. The Northeast Alabama Bicycle Club has donated more than $22,000 to this wonderful project.
FREE High Speed Wireless internet access will be available at the Piedmont Civic Center, the Start/Finish of the ride. Bring your laptop and stay connected as you wait for friends to finish the ride. Available on the first floor of the building and under the shadetree next to the the Finish line.